• Latest News

    Sunday, June 17, 2018

    Where is the animosity of Comrade Adams Oshiomhole? The challenges facing the ruling APC ahead of its National Convention.

    OSHIOMHOLE: APC UNDERTAKER?

    By: Comrade Desmond Briggs.

    It's no more news that all things are not the same with the ruling party APC. It's also in the public know that the polarizations in the party has gotten to the elastic limit. Recent development between the party and the nPDP is a clear indication of the cracked walls of the party. What the rest of Nigerians are waiting for is to see what would happen at the party's forthcoming National Convention billed to take place on the 23rd of June. As I write all eyes are on the Party and her stakeholders. 

    Serious campaign has already started and contestants for the various positions are strategizing to outsmart their oponents. What caught my attention is the recent comments accredited to one of the chairmanship contestants, the immediate past Governor of Edo state, Adams Oshiomhole. 

    There was so much arrogance contained in that statement and I was like, for this words to come out from the lips of a man who wants to lead a party as APC  with all the rancour and conflicting interests needing to be managed, then there is greater problems facing the party.

    Statement credited to Comrade Adams Oshiomhole:

    "I am used to contestations and competition and I am a democrat. That was why I did not agree with those who said extend our tenure without election. I think democracy is problematic, but there is no better way to govern a people who are not children who should be spoon fed.

    “At least, I know one and we have contested against each other before. He rigged me out, I pursued him and I won and retrieved the mandate from him. I went back to seek second term and I won. I defeated him even in his local government. I won 18 over 18, defeating him in his ward, his unit, his local government and Senatorial district.

    “If I was able to defeat him as an ordinary union leader when they dismissed me that I was not a politician while he was already a senator and I was able to defeat him.

    “Now as a man who has had the privilege to preside over the affairs of Nigeria Labour Congress nationwide, a two time Governor, if I have to compete with somebody who was governor for 18 months, I don’t have any problem.

    “As for the others, let me say that in a boxing ring, Featherweights don't contest with heavyweight. But  I am happy that we are in a democracy and people are free to contest. Quite frankly, the process is much more important than the outcome. I am satisfied not because I will be chairman, but because my party is in power.

    From the above statement it seems like those pushing for the chairmanship of Oshiomhole have uterior motive far away from getting the party back on track. Adams Oshiomhole's chairmanship seems to be targeting at getting back at some people; a way of "dealing" with some members of the party who in one way or the other might have stepped on certain individuals that feels they own the party. I may not be far from this. 

    Something tells me there is secrete plans being hatched through the Oshiomhole chairmanship. The man claims to be a 'Democrat' but those statements above don't speak 'democrat' to the best of my understanding. This man is being pushed to Undertake some dirty job in the party and I see his chairmanship announcing the burial rites of this great party APC. Something keep telling me this Adams is an UNDERTAKER chairman.

    The rate at which they are pushing the comrade to become chairman is so frightening. First they took the idea to the Presidency and blackmailed the man in charge into accepting the idea as the only way they can support his second tenure bid. Then they pushed so much fund into his campaign to intimidate the rest persons that may wish to contest against him. Am sure he was suprised that the others contestants came out at last which must have made him lose his cool to described them as "featherweights". Is this not a family affair? Why the use of such insulting words for fellow members of the same party? When did they become the target enemy? Why still bearing animosity with somebody after being a Governor for 8 years? Above all where is this arrogance coming from? Something and some people must have assured him of his winning and so anybody coming his way must be crushed. 

    Clement Ebri became a Governor many years before the Aluta comrade ever thought or dreamt of becoming one. If not the military incursion its most likely the man would have done two tenures just like Adams arrogantly brags about. Ebri since making known his interest to contest have never used any foul language on any of his co-contestants, he has remained humble and focused on what he would do for the party. Where is the animosity of Oshiomhole coming from?

    Osunbor on the other hand was elected as Governor but was removed by the court. We all know what really transpired then. Let Oshiomhole keep his arrogance behind for it is only God that showed him favour then, but look at the way he reasons with Gods favour. 

    Just recently Tinubu and his right hand man Akande were sighted inspecting the campaign office of Oshiomhole, somebody I was with asked me if Oshio is contesting for presidency of Nigeria or APC chairmanship. That question threw me off balance. The headquarters looks like a presidential campaign office. 

    The presidency ought to be very careful about the forces behind the Oshiomhole chairmanship. There is something behind all of this. Remember that Tinubu played a good role in the court process that instated Adams. Remember also that Tinubu felt he lost control of the party at a stage under Oyegun. The Leader does not want to make the kind of mistake under Oyegun and therefore have decided to put everything he has to install Oshiomhole who in turn owes Tinubu a favour.

    The issue is that, APC  is a conglomerate of different interests. It's a holding with various shareholders and any attempt by one individual or camp to try to take over the soul of the party would be tantamount to the death of the party. This is exactly what will happen if Oshiomhole wins. To before warned is to before armed.                           
    PDP is also waiting for APC to make the mistake of installing this man as their new chairman then they will release their attacks on his person especially this time that a Bishop has taken the EFCC to court compelling them to investigate the former Governor over allegation of corruption. Would the President soil his hands with corruption?? God forbid.

    The best advice to the presidency is to find a suitable ministerial position and appoint Adams Oshiomhole let him serve Nigeria with his wealth of experience as a former Governor. APC  chairmanship requires a bridge builder, a humble but yet decisive leaders; somebody who can comfortably reintegrate the party into the heart of the general public, this is not about 'Aluta'. The general public must feel the Party through the personality of the chairman.

    Party chairmanship is not trade union. Yes, he might have been a Governor, but for him to have nursed so much acrimony against Osunbor shows that this man has no forgiving spirit and such is not suitable for APC right now. For him to address a 'senior' former Governor as a 'featherweight' shows this man is not a democrat at all. Such arrogance breeds discontent in a heterogeneous system like a political Party. 

    I believe many people have seen what am seeing. I also believe many party stakeholders are seeing what am seeing. 23rd June is the day to decide the faith of APC, to Live or to Die. 

    If the architects of Adams Oshiomhole becoming APC chairman succeeds, President Buhari should as well wave bye bye to his second tenure. This is serious talk. 

    Desmond Briggs. 

    Writing from FCT, Abuja

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Where is the animosity of Comrade Adams Oshiomhole? The challenges facing the ruling APC ahead of its National Convention. Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Unknown
    Scroll to Top